A degree in geography opens doors to a wide variety of career options.
Our majors have obtained jobs in business, education, and with different local, state, and government agencies. Many geographers find that having courses in and experience using tools such as GPS, GIS, and map/image analysis creates additional job opportunities.
Geography majors interested in physical geography might work as outdoor interpretive guides, or as a regional climatologist. Physical geographers can recognize and explain earth processes, such as soil degradation, or identify and map places and areas at the greatest risk of hazards such as tornadoes, hurricanes, or landslides.Geography majors interested in human geography might work to help companies identify the most optimal location for a new branch office, as program coordinators in city chamber of commerce offices, or as GIS data distribution managers for city or regional governments. Some human geographers go on to work as travel consultants, political analysts, map librarians, historic preservation researchers, or as teachers and writers. Human geographers appreciate the uniqueness of places and can identify trends affecting them.
Where have our majors found employment?
Students graduating from the Department of Geography at Oklahoma State University have found employment in a variety of organizations. Some of these include:
- Creek Nation
- Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
- Environmental Consulting firms
- State of Oklahoma Conservation Commission
- Surveying and Mapping firms
- State of Oklahoma government transportation and planning services
- Alternative Engergy source corporations
- Major oil and gas companies
- Oklahoma State Parks and Recreation
- City of Oklahoma City government projects
- United States Armed Forces
- International NGOs
- Public education
- Agriculture and farming
- Continuing Education in Graduate school in Geography, Urban Planning, Environmental Science, and International Studies.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Anthony Valentine, Sr. Academic Advisor
CAS Student Success Center
213 Life Sciences East
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK 74078